Department of Theatre Arts: Department Head Search
The Caine College of the Arts at Utah State University seeks qualified candidates for the position of Head of the Department of Theatre Arts with a start date of July 1, 2020. We particularly invite candidates who combine several important characteristics:
- Demonstrated capabilities for consultative leadership, strategic management, and administration at the university level.
- An ability to build consensus among faculty and staff.
- An ability to function as an effective advocate for the department, faculty, and staff to the university administration and as an ambassador of the theatre arts to the wider community.
- The ability to lead the faculty in the design, delivery, and assessment of curriculum, including the ability to lead the department’s response to trends in the profession.
- Experience working in professional theatre and/or a strong record of theatre scholarship.
- Demonstrated record of fundraising success.
- The ability to administer a department budget.
- Strong listening, spoken, and written communication skills.
- Commitment to diversity.
- The ability to teach in one of the programs of the department.
Housed in the Caine College of the Arts at USU, the Department of Theatre Arts has a long history of well-established and highly regarded programs. The new department head can expect to play a key role in positioning the department and the college among the major arts institutions in the nation. The department offers BA, BFA, and MFA degrees. The new department head will join a vital local and extended arts community, which includes the university-owned Lyric Repertory Company, a professional summer theatre. Located in Cache Valley, beautifully nestled in the mountains of northern Utah, the university sits adjacent to the Cache National Forest. The valley is a prime destination for outdoor recreation including skiing, hiking, biking, and camping.
Responsibilities. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Oversight and facilitation of departmental operations and functions such as assessment, development of curriculum, scheduling, budgets, personnel (including faculty and staff evaluation and mentoring), alumni relations, development and funding.
- Leadership and oversight of faculty matters, professional development, and the promotion/tenure process.
- Leadership of departmental strategic planning and management.
- Artistic oversight of the Utah State Theatre production season.
- Service as the Artistic Producer of the Lyric Repertory Company with financial and artistic responsibility for the company. The Artistic Producer is a member of a team which includes the Artistic Director, the Associate Artistic Director and the General Manager.
- Service as part of the college leadership team, including serving as assigned on various college and university committees and task forces.
- A limited teaching role.
- Serve as mentor and advisor to students - responding to student needs, issues and expectations.
Minimum qualifications. Minimum qualifications include the following:
- A terminal degree (MFA, Ph.D., or equivalent).
- Academic qualifications sufficient to be tenured as a full professor at USU at the time of appointment.
- An established record of teaching in a field relevant to the theatre arts.
- Significant scholarly achievement or creative artistic achievement in a professional setting.
- An ability to teach in one of the academic areas of the department:
costume, set, and lighting design
Leadership experience in a theatre arts department; the ability to direct theatrical productions; commitment to development and promotion of undergraduate and graduate programs in theatre; a record of successful fundraising; a strong network of professional and academic relationships; experience with national theatre associations, such as NAST, USITT, ACTF, ASTR, AATE, VASTA and ATHE.
Application review date: February 7, 2020