Advising Center

REMINDER: Make sure you are using and regularly checking your new USU email address!

Meet with your academic advisor often throughout your academic career to ensure you take the right courses at the right time, are connected to opportunities such as internships, study abroad, and other activities of interest, and stay on track to graduate. Academic Advisors will help you develop a plan of study and meet with students in various ways, including video conferencing, over the phone, and via email.

CCA Advisors

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

You can find and make an appointment with your advisor through

How can I change my major?

Students will need to schedule an appointment with the advisor of their prospective major in order for their major to be changed. To declare a major in the Caine College of the Arts, students will need to schedule an advising appointment and meet the GPA minimum requirement of 2.75 (3.00 for Arts Education). Admission to most CCA majors will also require a successful audition or portfolio submission.

What does it mean to be a Pre-Program Art student?

New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing are initially admitted as a Pre-Program Art student, unless the student has submitted the required portfolio of work to the Art Department. This portfolio is due to the Art Office by February 1 of the year the student wishes to enter USU. If students are accepted, they will continue in advanced courses in the Fall. After their sophomore year, students may choose an emphasis area and undergo a review for admission into the BFA program. These reviews are typically scheduled for Spring semester. Students not admitted to a BFA program in a studio emphasis may complete the BS or BA degree and graduate in Art with no emphasis.

What is the Pre-Music program?

Pre-Music students will register for the 1000-level Pre-Music instruction course for their first two semesters. At the end of each semester, the student will have a jury. At the end of the first year (second semester), students who have passed both freshmen-level juries by a B- or higher will be moved from the Pre-Music course into the Pre-Barrier course. A student who passes their two first-year juries with a B- or higher also moves from pre-program status into declared status. Education and Performance majors can see when this has occurred in DegreeWorks, when the last letters of your major code change from PPRU to BM or BA.

What are the math requirements for my degree?

Students can find the requirements for their degree, including math requirements, in the USU Catalog.

Can I retake a course to get a better grade?

Yes. Information on how repeated courses will appear on your transcript can be found on Registrar's FAQs page.

What is a pass/fail option for a course?

Information for taking a course pass/fail can be found in the USU Catalog. Remember to speak with your advisor about taking a course pass/fail, as major courses in the Caine College must be taken for a grade.

Will my courses transfer over from another university?

Students can see how courses they have taken at another university will transfer to USU on the USU Registrar transfer page.

Do I have to submit a portfolio before starting the Art program?

Do I have to submit a portfolio before starting the Art program? Incoming freshmen begin in the Art Pre-Program and must submit a portfolio comprised of foundation course materials in order to be admitted as a full-time student in the Art BS program. Incoming transfer students may either submit a portfolio of prior work done at other universities or take the foundations courses and submit a portfolio from these classes. A second portfolio submission is required for admission to the BFA program.

When are auditions?

Information on Music auditions can be found on Music's application page. Information on Theatre auditions can be found on Theatre's application page.

Can I audition for a group even if I'm not a Music major?

Non-music majors are welcome to audition for any ensemble on campus. Choral and band auditions take place the first week of the Fall semester, while orchestral auditions occur during the summer. Some groups on campus do not require an audition.

Why do I have a hold on my account?

Information about different holds, what they mean, and who to contact to get them removed can be found on the Registrar's website.

Where does differential tuition go?

Information about what differential tuition is and where it goes can be found on the Differential Tuition page.

How do I apply for scholarships?

USU's scholarship AwardSpring can help students apply for university-wide scholarships. Specific Caine College of the Arts scholarships can be found on the scholarships page.

How do I find emotional support at USU?

Students can find general wellness information and, for Logan Campus, mental wellness information. USU's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) office offers a variety of programs that can help students experiencing mental or emotional distress.

How do I get into Music Therapy?

Students interested in music therapy need to complete the 2-step process consisting of: (1) a pre-selection audition, and (2) an on-site audition.

The pre-selection audition requires:

  1. A completed music therapy application,
  2. A high school or college transcript,
  3. A video of the auditionee singing a song and accompanying themselves on guitar OR piano,
  4. A 1-2 minute video responding to the questions “What is music therapy?” and “What makes this career well suited for me?”.

Students who are notified that they have passed the pre-selection audition will be invited back for an in-person audition. Auditionees will be asked to show the following memorized repertoire:

  1. A recital-ready (classical) piece on their principal instrument,
  2. A sung popular/contemporary song, accompanied on piano,
  3. A sung folk or children’s song, accompanied on guitar.

More information regarding the audition can be found on Music's therapy auditions page. The music therapy application also contains valuable information.


Can I complete my degree in a shorter time than 4 years?

A majority of the programs in the Caine College of the Arts require a full four years to complete. These programs each have certain requirements and pre-requisites that require students take courses in a certain order. This makes it harder to fast-track the programs. Most of our programs have general education and depth education requirements built into the four-year plan.