In addition to applying for admission to the University, all applicants interested in pursuing a music degree must perform an audition on their major instrument prior to their first semester enrolling in music courses. Schedule your audition by filling out the Online Audition Application (must be submitted no later than one week prior to the audition date). Auditions serve admission and placement purposes, and are also for talent scholarship consideration. For Aggie Marching Band information, visit the Aggie Marching Band page.
Percussion Auditions for the 2022-23 Academic Year
- Saturday, February 11, 2023, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm, FAC 104
- Saturday, February 25, 2023, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm, FAC 104
Applicants with percussion as their primary instrument considering a Bachelor of Music in Music Education: Band emphasis, or a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance: Wind/Brass/Percussion emphasis, should prepare the following:
- Mallet Percussions: Demonstrate scales, play solo or etude, and sight-read
- Timpani: Demonstrate tuning, play solo or etude, and sight-read
- Snare Drum: Demonstrate knowledge of basic rudiments, play solo or etude, and sight-read
- Optional: The student can demonstrate various styles (e.g. swing, Latin, rock, funk, etc.) on drum set as well as sight-read a big band chart
If travel distance or schedule conflicts prevent you from auditioning live, you may submit a video recording of your audition. Your video audition must satisfy the audition requirements specified for your instrument. Fill out and submit your Recorded Audition Submission Form.
Aggie Marching Band Drumline Auditions
Drumline Audition Requirements
- Prepare audition excerpts on instrument(s) of your choice (snare, tenors, bass drum, cymbals)
- In consideration of possible instrument access limitations brought on by COVID-19 measures, performance of audition excerpts on practice pads is acceptable.
- Record at a clean tempo
- Video should be head-to-toe at an angle that provides a clear view of your hands
- Snare and/or tenor solo excerpts may be submitted as supplemental material (not required)
Email video or link to video to Dr. Jason Nicholson on Monday, May 15, 2023 by 12:00 p.m.